Sunday, January 8, 2012

Coming Out of the Closet

Why am I in the closet in the first place? Fair question. In part, because Cute Husband has a weird job with all sorts of secrecy issues (he's not a spy or anything) that sort of demands sensitivity with our personal information being displayed on the Internet. In part, because Cute Husband is extraordinarily private with the details of our life together, and I want to honor and respect that. In part, because I'm on the heels of a return from living in a country for two years where witchcraft was considered haram (Arabic for forbidden), and where witches weren't exactly welcomed. And in part, because I have always been a woman who has enjoyed "passing" in main stream life instead of being obviously "out there." You might argue that I'm still not quite all out, and you'd be right. But, as I said, I'm starting where I am right now, and for now, that's the best I can do.

So what does that mean, then, and what sort of witch am I? I'm still figuring this out myself. Having lived in a country where religion governs everything, including all sorts of personal freedoms, and then coming back home to America, I am still overwhelmed with the amount of religious freedom we get to have, and which we just take for granted. It's wonderful to be able to do--no one arrests you or kills you because you have chosen to believe something different than what the government tells you. You can worship whatever you wish--I like that in a country. And so, here I am, 40-something-witch-type with strong fae and pixie leanings, recognizing that I'm allowed to be whatever I want to be. It's sort of intoxicating.

I could probably write a book on what I learned about religion and how that influences a culture having lived in a Muslim country, but I won't bore you with my ideas on that.

For now, I'm just celebrating my decision to make the leap.

No comments:

Post a Comment