Monday, January 30, 2012

Book of Shadows

From what it sounds like, any witch worth her broomstick needs to have a Book of Shadows. My understanding of the BOS is that this is a journal to track your magical work. It's a place where you write down spells, acknowledge your rules of magic, and is a sacred tool to be used as you practice your craft. For me, it sounds like a cook book of sorts, a place where you essentially spell out the recipes for the magic you're creating.

I have never been particularly drawn to creating a BOS because it reminds me of all those episodes of Charmed that I watched in my 30s when I should have been doing more productive things. Also, the whole idea of a Book of Shadows feels a little creepy and conjures up for me images like this:


(which feels a little too Dungeons and Dragon-y for me).

But if I refer back to an earlier posting, I recall that I'm going to start where I am and just "Be Pixie Girl", and in regard to my BOS, I'm going to find something that fits me a little bit more appropriately.  Here's one idea:


I love that she's a fellow red-head and that she seems positively bored, and is therefore looking as if she doesn't take everything too seriously. I also like this hand-made option:


I was never a good girlie girl in that I don't really know how to put together a scrap-book. However, being a former teacher, I know a thing or two about the 3 ring binder, so I'm hopeful to be able to construct a BOS that is appealing to my eye, user-friendly, and feels like it belongs to me.

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you tht a good old 3 ring binder certainly maieks things easier to find, store and rearrage than any lovely, post bound, handwritten book, no matter how witchy wonderful. Its YOUR book. serve you.

    ReplyDelete